Charles William Foulk, Ph.D.
Google: "Charles Foulk"
(1869 - 1958)
Because of increased numbers in the courses in analytical chemistry, Charles William Foulk (B.Sc. Ohio State, 1894) was appointed in 1896 as Assistant in Chemistry. He was promoted to Assistant Professor in 1898.
Various changes in the chemistry curriculum were initiated by Professor McPherson. Organic chemistry was added as a separate course in 1894, a course in theoretical chemistry was offered beginning in 1895 and a four year curriculum in industrial chemistry was established in 1890. Systematic graduate study and research leading to the M.Sc. degree was started at about the same time.
In June 1899 Professor Foulk was granted a two year leave of absence for graduate study in Germany, which he spent as a student of Ostwald at Leipzig. William Edwards Henderson (Ph.D. Johns Hopkins, 1897), who had been teaching at Ohio University, was appointed temporarily to replace Professor Foulk. He introduced courses in inorganic preparations and the history of chemistry, and considerably improved the course in theoretical chemistry, which was the forerunner of the later courses in physical chemistry. The department grew so rapidly around 1900 that when Professor Foulk returned from his leave, Professor Henderson was retained as a permanent member of the staff. This made possible further expansion of the course offerings in chemistry. Professor Henderson was promoted to Associate Professor in 1901 and Professor Foulk was likewise promoted in 1902.